Notice to Cash Bond Obligors - IRS "Backup Withholding" Rules

Legal Form NumberI-352A
SectionU.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
IssuerU.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Page 1 of 1ICE Form I-352A (4/14)
A “cash bond obligor” is the person who has paid the money to post an immigration bond. By law, immigration cash bonds
can earn simple interest at the rate set by the Department of the Treasury. ICE calculates interest payment and possible
backup withholding after (1) the cash bond is canceled or breached and (2) the obligor submits IRS Form W-9 or
In certain circumstances, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) may be required by the Internal Revenue
Service (IRS) to withhold tax from some of the interest payable to you as a cash bond obligor. This requirement is based
on IRS backup withholding rules. To assist DHS in determining whether some of the interest must be withheld, please
complete and return to ICE either IRS Form W-9 or IRS Form W-8BEN, based on the instructions below. ICE will use the
information you provide to determine whether or not you are subject to the IRS backup withholding rules.
Consequences of not returning the IRS Form: If you fail to return the appropriate IRS form, ICE may withhold tax at a
rate prescribed in IRS rules based on your apparent status as a citizen, resident, or non-resident alien and on information
provided, such as your address, to us during the immigration bond process. If ICE does not have a valid taxpayer
identification number for you, and it appears you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, ICE may withhold 28%
from interest payments made to you. If it appears that you are a non-resident alien, federal backup withholding will be
deducted at the rate of 30% on any interest payments made.
After completing the appropriate form, please send it to:
Financial Operations - Burlington
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
P.O. Box 5000
Williston, VT 05495-5000
Attn: Bonds Section
If you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, please complete Form W-9.
If you are a non-resident alien, please complete Form W-8BEN.
You may obtain Form W-9 or Form W-8BEN from the IRS website: A Spanish version of Form W-9
and its instructions are available on the IRS website under the “Español” link.
If you have questions about how to fill out Form W-9 or Form W-8BEN, you may call the IRS Toll Free at

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT